Hustle for happiness

Putting away the fear and getting ready to #hustle

Photo credit: Frontline Creative

I have always loved to write. From as early as I can remember when people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up my answer was always “a writer” (except for that brief period when Flipper was on TV and my obsession with dolphins tacked on, “or a marine biologist” despite a fear of the ocean…). I could always be found scribbling in notebooks – from short stories in elementary and middle school (featuring dolphins, naturally) to angsty poems in high school (ahhh being “misunderstood”).

While I didn’t become a novelist or poet, and I definitely took the route less traveled to my current profession, I now work in communications. I’ve been so lucky to work in many aspects of this career but what drew me to it when I was a lost 20-something whose first post-university job did not go as planned (post on that to come), was writing. Like I said, I’ve always love to write.

But I’ve realized over the years that, while I write all the time, I don’t write for myself anymore. I have been toying with blogging for at least five years – but fear has always held me back. The funny thing? I LOVE sharing – I am an enthusiastic sharer of all information. Heading to a city I’ve been to? Let me send you a list of recommendations. Struggling with a career decision? Let’s have coffee so I can listen and share some of my experiences. Having a terrible day? Let me sit on the floor with you and tell you hilarious stories of how my “struggle bus” week is going (I’m seriously the most clumsy person you ever did meet).

So this should seem like a natural fit, no? I’ve certainly felt that way at times. But I’ve always let fear stand right in front of me – fear that other people won’t read or won’t like what I’m writing, even the fear that I’ll run out of things to say (yeahhhh right). It’s so funny because that fear of the ocean I mentioned earlier? Every time I go on a trip I try to conquer this a little more – always pushing myself to jump into the ocean, swim into a cave, go snorkeling, and on my last trip, go scuba diving (that was a hard one – I seriously ran out of the ocean terrified after snorkeling, two days before I was supposed to go scuba diving 😳). I hate moving where fear tells me in so many aspects of my life. So I won’t let it ruin this either.

Guys, I’m totally not panicking right now. No seriously.

Check it – more fishes! Posing time is over friends, I have a fear to conquer.

I know it might sounds silly, blogging is not as scary as a fish shark. But it requires you to be vulnerable and open – to the world, your friends, to enthusiasm and criticism. And that can be scary. But it’s also exciting.So what can you expect?

My goal for this little corner of the internet is to create a space where women can come together and celebrate their vulnerability and embrace their hustle. I want to share (told ya 😉) what other people are driving towards in their careers and their lives, what I’ve learned thus far and what I continue to learn. This means talking about #careergoals and all the things associated (like how to network, what do other people do for a living, and what the heck does ‘business casual’ even mean?!).

However, balance is key – equally important to the #careerhustle is taking the time to relax, unwind and enjoy life. I want this place to breathe and grow, offering insights and ideas to help us hustle for our happiness, towards our best selves – in our career and side projects, while celebrating the little things in life. For me, a lot of this centres around travel, so I’ll be sprinkling in stories from my adventures around the globe and maybe even a health and fitness post here and there.

I’m sure this will be a messy process at moments, but thankfully some of the most beautiful moments in my life have grown out the messy ones.

-Bee

Next Post

You Might Also Like

25 Comments

• Reply Alexandra February 21, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Congratulations, Belinda! Look forward to visiting this corner of the internet regularly.

• Reply Bee February 23, 2017 at 2:58 am

Thanks Alex! If you have any ideas for this corner of the internet do let me know!

• Reply Bee February 23, 2017 at 2:59 am

Thanks Alex! Look forward to having you visit 🙂

• Reply Sabrina February 21, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Yay Belinda! Loving this idea – you got this! xo!

• Reply Bee February 23, 2017 at 3:00 am

Thanks Sabrina, I really appreciate that 🙂

• Reply Victoria February 21, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Awesome, Bee! Looking forward to reading your posts!

• Reply Bee February 23, 2017 at 3:01 am

Thanks Vee! Look forward to sharing more of them!

• Reply Alex February 21, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Noice. I will be following and listening 🙂

• Reply Bee February 23, 2017 at 3:01 am

Smort… and thank you 🙂

• Reply Eyre February 21, 2017 at 3:12 pm

This is amazing. Look forward to sharing this site with all my 30 something friends. Although…you don’t have to be a young professional woman to enjoy your insights and advice.

• Reply Lynn February 21, 2017 at 4:05 pm

This is awesome, Belinda! Jack and I will be regular visitors 🙂

• Reply Bee February 23, 2017 at 3:02 am

Thanks Lynn! So happy to hear that – and can’t wait til Jack types up his first comment #digitalbabies haha

• Reply Jes Nairne February 21, 2017 at 4:59 pm

This is a very inspiring idea Bee! I can’t wait to read more 🙂

• Reply Bee February 23, 2017 at 3:03 am

Thanks Jes, I really appreciate that 🙂 I’ll be sure to keep the content flowin’

• Reply Aziz Barry Bien February 21, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Congrats, young lady!

You are the best – ergo, your writing shall be informed by your tender heart and active mind!

Will follow, watch and enjoy!! (Is “Break a leg!” appropos?)

Love, light and much happiness with your neeest endeavour!

ABB

• Reply Bee February 23, 2017 at 3:04 am

Thanks Barry – and I would say break a leg could be appropriate, but let’s be honest, I’d probably actually break a leg hahaha

• Reply Lyn John February 21, 2017 at 6:41 pm

I am sooooooo proud to be your Aunt. Now I can really brag about you! I will be a reader. Can you hear me cheering?

• Reply Bee February 23, 2017 at 3:05 am

So THAT’s what that noise was? Hahahaha I’m always proud to be your niece 🙂

• Reply Laura Paget February 22, 2017 at 3:56 am

Congrats Belinda! So excited for you. Your personality comes through so fabulously in your writing that I can totally hear your voice jumping off the page! Can’t wait to read more from you 🙂

• Reply Bee February 23, 2017 at 3:05 am

Thanks Laura, that means a lot 🙂 So excited that you’re following along on this little adventure.

• Reply Amy February 22, 2017 at 3:07 pm

You are and always have been a beautiful inspiration.
    I can personally remember all of the earlier writing years, the chatting and the tripping.
    I look forward to following and getting amazing insight to your (and many other women’s) #hustle.
    Keep following your dreams you beautiful soul!
    Shine on you crazy diamond.
    Aim

• Reply Bee February 23, 2017 at 3:08 am

Thanks Amy, I really appreciate your kind words. I’m so excited to spotlight some pretty fabulous peeps and their #careerhustle and am so happy that this idea is resonating with so many.

• Reply Emily Feairs February 22, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Yaaaaas. This. This is my jam. So pumped for you and for this kind of a conversation! Because, while I wish we could wear matching outfits to coffee every week and talk about this stuff, this is a great hold over until we match, errr, I mean, meet again.

• Reply Bee February 23, 2017 at 3:09 am

Well Emily stamp of approval = #winning. And I can’t wait til we are #twinning again (eh… eh… 😉 )

• Reply Walkin’ the talk… or how I ended up doing something I never thought I would – Belinda Bien March 23, 2017 at 8:20 am

[…] then I re-read my first blog post and knew I had to sign up. Walk the talk. Try something new. I didn’t know what it would be […]